Probably this is the most traditional dish of Redován and the whole region of Vega Baja del Segura. Dedicated to great occasions and holidays.
- Put the chickpeas to soak the day before. In a pot cook for an hour the chickpeas, meat, bacon and celery. In a bowl, crumb the bread with a pinch of salt, add the blood and mix well. Then add the other ingredients and knead everything well. It is taking portions of this mass and is shaped like “balls”.
- Add the meat and the chickpeas, the other ingredients and the balls in the pot to the boil, letting them cook until everything is ready (cook for 3 hours over low heat).
- This dish is typical at Christmas. The custom was years ago to kill the turkey and the blood was reserved to make the meatballs. At the dinner on Christmas Eve turkey was roasted. On Christmas day the stew was cooked and served like this:
- First dish, with part of the broth and made a “soup covered”.
- Second course, the balls with a little broth.
- Third course, meat, chickpeas and potatoes.